Monday 9 April 2012

The first half of my story

This all began back in Nov/Dec 2008 when it was discovered during my annual diabetes review that I had some neuropathy (nerve damage) in my right foot. As a consequence the circulation in the foot was under threat. As a result of this I was referred to a vascular surgeon for review.
I met the vascular surgeon for the 1st time in Feb 2009 at which point he sent me for an MRI scan to see what circulation in leg was like.
When I saw him again in Mar/Apr 2009 the results were inconclusive so he arranged for me to come into hospital for an angiogram (this happened within days).
This showed that I had a blockage (calcification) in the ankle area. A bypass of the blockage was out of the question as it was too dangerous & too small a blood vessel. However, they could offer me something called a sympathectamy (alcohol -phenol- is injected into the sympathetic nerve through one of the lumbar vertebrae to kill the nerve and encourage the blood vessels to widen.
Everything all tickety boo then!

Next stage is for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment