Thursday 19 April 2012

Stage 3 of story.

So there I was. 1st amputation carried out (4th toe of right foot) on 23 September 2009. Everything went ok initially - the district nurses were coming every other day to change the dressing. I had recall appt with the surgeon after 2 wks at which pint it was discovered that whoever had done the amputation had stitched packing into the wound socket. It had been in there all that time!
Surgeon was quite pleased but wanted to see me again in 3 wks. It's at this point things went down hill. I started to take an allergic reaction to any adhesive plaster the put on the wound & my foot started to blister & wither. When I went to see the surgeon on 1 Nov 2009 I was given a choice - I could have a partial foot amputation or below knee. Bear in mind now that the blockage causing the problem is in my ankle.
So after discussing with my other half I decided to opt for the below knee amputation. This was carried out on 9 November 2009 and I walked with a prosthesis 6 weeks & 3 days later on 23 December.
Shorter today as such a short period of time between amputations. It also helped that I took to this one like a duck takes to water. I had no major problems, the wound healed really quickly and I was extremely stubborn about doing things for myself.
Next time I'll talk a bit about recovery & getting mobile again!

No comments:

Post a Comment